Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm 

I just can't keep the thing between the lines! The steering wheel has so much play in it, I don't know if I can get used to it. General research shows there are a lot of possible causes-but it has just had 4 of the 8 tie rod ends replaced, new wheel bearings, new tires and rims, alignment, in addition to other things. Could it just be a steering box adjustment?

I will go to the shop where the work was done and ask them for advice, but I sure am reluctant to take it--I've spent so much money there already----:-(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:39 pm 

There are a couple of things to look at with steering. I'm not as familiar with the flat nose, but I assume the steering column may have a C-V or U-joint. Make sure these are not loose. One other big thing that can throw you is if any part of the steering is binding up. I had a stiff bellcrank that really confused me. You could never get the vehicle to go straight, because it took force to break the binding loose. You'd be close to straight, and then overshoot. Every little bump you hit, would knock it off straight, so it had a continuous wander. Jack the front of the coach completely off the ground. You should be able to grab one of the tires and turn the wheel from lock to lock. If you can't, you may need to disconnect the center link to isolate which point is dragging.

Lastly, it could be the steering gear box. While many will often just give the sector shaft adjustment a little turn, you have to be very careful not to over tighten. There is NO WAY to know this, without removing the box from the coach. The feel is waaay to subtle to be able to tell if it is over tightened. When you have the box off, first check the end play on the input shaft. Feel the rotational drag as you turn the shaft back and forth. There should be no drag. Then adjust the sector shaft. Again feel for drag, not slop. If you reach the point were you are right on the edge of drag, and there is still slop, further tightening will not take out that slop. But it will result in excessive wear. Also make sure the box is centered when you are adjusting. The center has slightly more tension than 15 degrees either side of center.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817