Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 am 

I am SO relieved to find this group/board! Certain technical info hasn't been easy to come by for me.

A few months ago I took on an '82 Revcon. Its one of the smaller models, I think...rear bathroom and two twin beds. Strange arrangement for a class A.

A buddy who I camp and ride motorcycles with owned this. He got a newer/bigger/nicer rig and this one sat stored in the desert for 3 or 4 years. It was full of sand. The gas had gone bad in the tank, the tires were badly rotted and the batteries were dead. The Ca. registration fees had gone unpaid ( to the tune of just under $1000). He didn't want to pay storage for it anymore and gave it to me.

I drained and refilled the gas tank, changed the fuel filter, vacuumed the dust out of the air intake, hooked up a battery, primed the carb and, after an eternity of cranking, got the engine to fire. I changed the oil and filter, got some 16" Chevy Silverado rims/tires from craigslist, filled the trans, radiator, brake reservoir and....drove it away. It runs and shifts well, the 'ole 454 seems to be pretty healthy. It passed a smog test. *But*...the poor thing's an absolute mess. I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet. "Everything worked when we parked it, except for the cab A/C," was the quote my buddy gave me, with no reason to lie.

The Onan gennie won't start. It turns over, but the fuel pump doesn't seem to be working. I'm hoping that's all there is to that. I wouldn't be surprised if its carb needs to be opened and cleaned. There's a leak in the interior plumbing somewhere. I haven't tried the fridge, stove or hot water heater...the interior overall has some miles on it, to be sure. The hardwood floor is nowhere near in pristine condition and the up front upholstery/carpet is faded. Did I mention the sand? 35 year old window seals don't stop the relentless onslaught of sand in the California desert.

Before I tackle the interior, there are some mechanical fires I need to put out. The trans seems to be leaking into the transfer case. I'm pretty sure the transfer case input shaft seal is the culprit, BUT trying to find info on this on the internets is proving to be frustrating. I think the T case on these units is a modified Borg Warner?? Some T case input shaft seals are a single piece; other configurations use two seals back to back. Sometimes in a set up like this there isn't a rear seal in the transmission. I *know* that someone out there on this list has had their T-case filling with Dexron as their transmission was slowly draining. What were the proper seals that you used to remedy the situation!?!? I've heard stories of pro transmission shops not getting this correct on 4WD GM pickups. After that, I'll need to remedy leaking exhaust manifold gaskets. I want to check all the wheel bearings and the the brakes. So many other things, too.

This rig has potential. I'd like to get it usable as a desert camping unit. It'll never be a show piece, but I enjoy the uniqueness of it, and the handling truly is nice.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any info!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am 

BTW...Here are a couple crappy videos showing the first time I started it, and the first time I moved it, to give an idea of my machine. I'll see if I have some other pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRRp_9pkmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0WTHRCF6I