Revcon Forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner support system for the Revcon Motorcoach
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 am 

I own a 1984 King, since about two years ago. I have been restoring it step by step. I was planning to have installed another leaf in the rear suspension. The mechanic noticed some misalignment of the rear wheels and thinks the bushings are bad in the equalizer beam. Marty Moore has none and suggests to have them made, as do the people at The Co-op in Orlando, but that has proved difficult. They suggest Energy Suspension to make them, but they do not do small runs or one offs. Hendrickson has no information about the system they made for Revcon, and they made this assembly exclusively for Revcon. Has anyone else had this problem? I was able to find a little bit about this on the RC yahoo forum but had trouble navigating that, glad to have found this one. Kudos to the builder of this site. The search function on this site turns up nothing when searching bushings, however.

The rest of the vehicle is pretty good at this point, having rebuilt part of the front suspension, and having a rebuilt engine by the previous owner. Redid the exhaust, interior furniture and carpet, window gaskets , electrical wiring, generator, fuel tank leaks, radiator, queen mattress,extra taillights, mini blinds, new inverter/charger and upgrade to 50 amp service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:35 pm 

Very nice. Jim Bounds over at the co-op is a friend of mine, he reworked my coach a number of years back. Dave would be the guy to answer this, I'll have to see if I can get him on to answer. We're starting to get more active here and people are starting to finally contribute. I've been remiss in getting on line lately due to some family issues.

Welcome!
Eric

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. 1989 Revcon 31' MB #2752. Coach renovated between 2006-2009. 454 with .030 overbore, Doug Thorley headers, Federal Model 58 Traffic Blaster, Voyager backing camera system, more mods shortly forthcoming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:27 am 

Thank you Eric. The latest idea we have had is to put two short two short bushings into the beam because a long enough one cannot be found. The bushing has a bolt through it originally and my mechanic thinks two short pieces might be as good as one long one because the bolt would hold them together end to end.

Rick 1984 King

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 pm 

Hi Rick,CONGRATS!! you are in luck; I just went through the exact same thing at the beginning of Dec.The equalizer beam bushings ( 8 in total are available at most heavy truck spring shops. part# RB135 and are an exact fit). The big problem will be the center bushings,they are not available anywhere,believe me I've tried all over the US and Canada.After 6 months of searching to no avail I decided to rebuild the originals. This is where having a machine shop you are friendly with will help.I ordered a 12" length X 2.75 o/d of 90 durometer polyurethane bar stock and had it machined to be press fit in the original bushing sleeve( I believe .040" over ).Then we bored out for the center pin sleeve for a press fit also. Of course the original bushing has to be taken apart.Chucking it in a vise and drilling out several holes in the rubber allowed everything to be pressed apart and cleaned up for taking accurate measurements. Cost of urethane stock was $ 36.85 from Universal Urethane Products Toledo Ohio. (419)693-7400. Cost of bushings $12.50cdn x 8. Labor to R&R suspension and machining and pressing in bushings $400.00cdn. No more misalignment in beams.Still have to get front end alignment done but so far so good, and with new alignment I'm sure she'll be driving like an arrow like a Revcon should. I hope you find this helpful and good luck.

Eric maybe this could go in tech section?? Rene

1987 Revcon 31 DB #2715,Doug Thorley headers,new carpet (my screwup) new upholstery,454 cu.in.36k miles,HWH hydraulic jacks, exterior lighting converted LED.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 am 

Yes, thank you. In fact, my mechanic did find the same bushings in October. As you mentioned, the center bushings are not available. My mechanic thought mine were in good enough condition to leave them for now but i will keep your solution for a later date. The Revcon rides noticeably smoother with no vibration at any speed, unlike before. What I thought was out of balance rims and tires turned out to be the bushings. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 am 

What mileage or age should 1 expect replacement to be needed for these bushings?

454 Quadrajet Dexter Rear Axles Stock Drivetrain
16.5 950x16 x 6
Soon to be 225-75R16 on GMC 8 Lug Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:07 pm 

When I had mine replaced, I had probably 120K on it. I really don't think it is a mileage issue as much as age. The old rubber seams to crack and disintegrate with time. I can't say it made some miraculous difference, but then again, I almost never ride as a passenger.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817