Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

Post subject: Intro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:21 am 

Hello All,

I just acquired 33' 87 island bed Revcon, mostly functional, but needs some work (price was right, Free!). Mainly tires and reverse doesn't work. I do need to replace the batteries too. Oddly enough I am not used to these cab-over designs, and the owner/maintenance manual states it has an electronic oil dipstick. I would like to put fresh fluids in the the beast and it sure would be nice to know if and where a real mechanical dipstick is locates (found the one for the transmission). At any rate this should be a very fun project. I look forward to time well spent on the roads in this. Thanks for your time and advice. Next I will dig into the on board genset!

Post subject: Re: Intro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:02 am 

First, let me say welcome to the club. I think you will find that a Revcon is a very interesting beast that is generally a pleasure to work on. There is a certain level of logic to the way things are done.
Interesting that reverse doesn't work. That is usually not a good sign. Where are you located? I've got a Revcon trans that was working fine 2 years ago when I pulled it. The only sign of wear was that the torque converter would drain back into the pan anytime it sat for several weeks. Always had to let it idle for about 5 minutes before trying to move it, otherwise it would not go anywhere. Once the TC filled, it worked perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure it has the original straight cut gears in first and second, as you can hear it whine in those gears. Since I converted to the 4L85E, I don't have much use for it.

BTW: I can't imagine what an electronic dipstick is. Oil does not conduct electricity, so it would be difficult to sense fluid level. The standard location for the tube that goes into the pan would be on the passenger side. I would suggest building yourself a couple of ramps out of pressure treated 2X12s. Just stack 8 boards on top of each other, with each board progressively shorter. Then just bolt the stack together. That should give you the most stable, safe set of ramps, so you can work underneath it. 8 board will get it high enough to drop the trans out the bottom.

Second piece of advice: If you need to pull the trans, and know a welder, cut the rear mount on the driver's side. When you go to put it back together, weld two plates to make a U-shaped bracket to bolt the two pieces together. The second time I dropped the trans, that is what I did, and it ended up being much easier to drop it down.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817