Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 pm 

Thanks for the add very nice to find fellow owners! I have a fuel pump question about the 454 mechanical pump. Should I have to run the electric boost pump to get this to run? I have to run the boost pump until the float bowel is full then shut it off until the bowel runs dry. My thinking is the mechanical pump is bad. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:23 am 

i have to run mine constantly while the engine is on. It is off when i turn off the key.

rbeck1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 am 

Will yours flood out? Mine does if I leave the pump on too long then dies of starvation if I shut it off, makes driving it very hard.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

If things are working properly and the current setup is original, the answer is that the pump is not needed. Technically it is there to prevent vapor lock, although filling the float bowl after sitting for a long time it a nice bonus.

The original design is that when the pump is off, a valve routes the fuel around the pump. The mechanical pump is not supposed to suck fuel through the electric pump. If you need to run the pump all the time, then I would be suspect of the bypass valve, or your mechanical pump. While it is not necessary, it does not hurt to run the pump all the time.

All of this routing is in the box above the axles.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm 

Something more to add: It should not flood. Normally any extra pressure would be bled off through the return line on the mechanical pump. The original electric pump does not normally have enough pressure to supply enough fuel to keep it running. Back when I was running a carb, I switched out the electric pump to a pump from Napa and bypassed the mechanical pump. I did this because I remember back with my parents old Midas, that when the mechanical pump went bad, we bypassed with an electric pump, and the gas mileage jumped by 2 mpg. As it turned out, there was no mileage improvement. As a matter of fact, it ran rich. Slight increase in power, but it would blow fuel out the exhaust when you floored it. I put a regulator on, which helped, but eventually the regulator started to leak - yikes! I got rid of the regulator, and bought a fuel filter with a return line outlet. Hooked up the return line, and everything worked normal.

It should be pointed out that at no time did it ever flood. It always ran normal, although you could tell it was running rich. I think the quick and dirty solution for you would be to bypass the mechanical pump, and replace it with a fuel filter that has a return line. The filters are common as they were OEM for Jeep in the 70s. That should regulate the pressure correctly. If that still floods, then you probably have a carb problem.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817